Understanding the Chemicals Used in Cooling Tower Water Treatment
Cooling towers work by using heat exchange. Water is constantly circulated through the system, and, when it enters the cooling tower heated due to industrial processes, it is exposed to the air, resulting in evaporation. This reduces the temperature of the water enough that it can be recirculated and used for cooling. Of course, this cycle of evaporation requires the supply of water to be continuously replenished. However, the water that is fed into the cooling system is typically rife with contaminants, which can cause scale and corrosion. The chemicals that water treatment companies use are designed to address and prevent these issues.
What Chemicals Are Used in Cooling Tower Water Treatment?
The right combination of chemicals to use in your facility depends on a range of factors, including what type of cooling tower you have and the quality of the water being fed into the system. Typically water treatment for cooling towers involves the use of:
- Scale and corrosion inhibitors – These chemicals are meant to reduce or eliminate contaminants, such as minerals, in your water supply that can result in blockages and deterioration in your system’s piping.
- Closed system treatments – Problems, such as oxygen pitting, are common in closed-loop systems. A variety of chemicals can be used to prevent such corrosion from occurring.
- Biocides – This chemical treatment is used to control the development of potentially harmful microorganisms.
- Organic dispersants – These cooling tower water treatment chemicals can be used to prevent fouling and the accumulation of biofilms.
- Chlorine dioxide – This chemical can be used as a disinfectant to destroy microorganisms and prevent recurring growth.
Additionally, pre-treatments, such as water softeners and dealkalizers, may be used to treat water before it enters a system.
Cooling Tower Water Treatment From R2J
The experts at R2J have more than 35 years of experience with cooling tower water treatment and have earned the trust of countless businesses in the Tampa Bay area and beyond. In fact, we are the preferred contractor for EVAPCO – North America’s largest cooling tower manufacturer. Not only do we provide solutions that are tailored to our clients’ equipment and needs, but we also utilize advanced products, such as Smart Release®, which is safer and more environmentally friendly than many alternatives. To learn more about the chemicals that R2J uses in cooling tower water treatment, and our approach to helping our clients, contact us today.